Skip to main content

Motorcycle Course Frequently Asked Questions

What to know before you register

If you are under the age of 18, you must submit a Parental Waiver Form. 

You must have the waiver notarized if a parent is not able to come to class and sign you in. 

Liability Waiver and General Release


Call 616-234-BIKE (2453) to cancel your registration. Refunds are not available.

Frequently Asked Questions


Classes are $50 per person and include all materials needed for the class: 18 hours of instruction, a loaner motorcycle, fuel and competent, caring coaches to make your experience a good one.

How do I register?

Sign up and pay online.

Why is my Driver's License number required?

It is required by the State of Michigan.

How long is the Basic RiderCourse training?

The training averages 18 hours; depending on location, including online instruction, classroom lecture and range time.

Where are the driving ranges located?

Kent County - Farmers Insurance Headquarter,  6436 60th Street SE Caledonia, MI 49316   - Please review these directions carefully as this location can be challenging to locate. 

The training range in Caledonia is located off Broadmoor Ave SE (East Beltline SE) near M-6.

Take 60th Street east to Kraft Ave SE (stoplight). Turn right on Kraft Street. Go south to “Kraft Lake Park” and turn left.

Signs will direct you to the parking lot. You will go to the 3rd turn on the round-about to a service road (old 60th street.)  Follow the signs to the parking area.    

Mason County - West Shore Community College, 3000 North Stiles Rd, Scottville, MI 49454 (

Mecosta County - Ferris State University, 220 Sports Dr, Big Rapids, MI 49307 (

Muskegon County - Muskegon Community College, 221 S. Quarterline Rd, Muskegon, MI 49442  (

Kalkaska County - Kalkaska Middle School, 1700 Kalkaska St, Kalkaska, MI 49646  (

Who can take a Basic RiderCourse class?

To take the course you need to have a valid Michigan Driver's License or have taken an approved Driver Education Course. The course is required for persons who have failed the Secretary of State 3rd party road skills test twice, or for persons under the age of 18. The course is strongly recommended for all new riders or experienced riders that were self-taught or who learned from a friend.

Can I ride my own motorcycle during my Basic RiderCourse?

No. The motorcycles need to meet strict safety and size regulations. Motorcycles are provided for the Basic RiderCourse. All motorcycles are 250cc’s or less. Inventory includes Suzuki GZ250’s, Honda Rebel 250’s, Honda CB125s, Suzuki TU250W’s and Honda Nighthawk 250’s.

How do I get my endorsement?

Once you have successfully completed the course, your results will be reported to the Secretary of State. You should receive your certificate of completion via email with instructions to either go online or visit a Secretary of State branch office to obtain your CY endorsement.Be sure to enter your information correctly when registering. Incorrect information will result in a delay of your CY endorsement.

Who can I contact regarding registration questions?

All information that you need should be answered on this page or in the RiderCourse description. If there is something that you are still unsure of you may email

Note: This program is not staffed full-time. While your questions are important to us, it may take some time to respond to any inquiries.