We strive to create a welcoming environment that supports diverse study needs, encourages collaboration and preserves our library materials, including computer equipment and furnishings. Our library policies reflect these efforts.
Please partner with us by following our guidelines.
Food and Drink: Leave no trace
Our “leave no trace” policy refers to the privilege to have food and drink in the library, so long as patrons dispose of their waste. Trash and recycle bins are located throughout the library for this purpose. Additional guidelines are as follows:
- Beverages must be in a container with a lid.
- If assistance is needed to clean up spills, request help from staff at the Circulation Desk on the first floor.
- Food that is strong in odor or messy by nature should be avoided.
- Alcohol is not allowed.
- Unattended food or beverages may be disposed of by staff.
Disruptive Behavior and Noise
In the spirit of supporting collaborative and respectful work between patrons:
- Be mindful and respectful of other library users.
- Keep noise to a minimum.
- Use headphones when listening to music or watching videos with sound.
- Set cell phones to vibrate or silent.
- Limit cell phone conversations to the stairwells and lobby.
Our policy on children in the library is taken from the campus-wide policy, Children in the Classroom and on Campus, section III, part 2:
"Children accompanying visitors, employees or students of Grand Rapids Community College must be under the constant supervision of a responsible adult while on GRCC property or on the site of any approved off-campus class or other GRCC event."
All computer activity is subject to the campus-wide Acceptable Use Policy.
Policy Enforcement Process
Beyond the guidelines set forth, policies with be enforced at the discretion of the library staff.
- Library staff will approach and ask a disruptive individual or group to discontinue the behavior.
- If disruptive behavior continues after the initial warning, GRCC Police may be contacted.
- The GRCC Behavioral Intervention Team may be informed as a further step in the process.