What are Open Educational Resources?
According to The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, Open Education Resources (OER) are:
"Teaching, learning, and research materials in any media that reside in the public domain or have been released under an open license that permits their free use and repurposing by others."
In short, open education resources are all about the sharing of educational information so that everyone has access to learning.
GRCC Courses/Sections Using OER
The lists below include links to the Open Educational Resource being used in a course at GRCC. Please be advised, OpenStax links will not open in Internet Explorer.
Courses with Zero Textbook Costs
These courses have a textbook that can be accessed for free online for all sections* and do not have any additional resources to purchase for the course. See also the courses below this list with very low overall textbook costs.
- AN 280 - Native American Culture - Native Peoples of North America
- AS 102 - Introductory Astronomy - OpenStax Astronomy (*all online sections)
- AS 103 - Descriptive Astronomy - OpenStax Astronomy (*all online sections)
- AS 106 - Solar System - OpenStax Astronomy
- AS 108 - Stars, Galaxies and Cosmology - OpenStax Astronomy
- AT 105 - History of Art Before 1400 - See Instructor (Various Online Resources)
- AT 106 - History of Art Since 1400 - See Instructor (Various Online Resources)
- BA 158 - Accounting for Entrepreneurs
- BA 207 - Business Law 1 - Business Law and the Legal Environment
- BA 208 - Business Law 2 - Business Law and the Legal Environment
- BA 254 - Introduction to Statistics with Applied Models - OpenStax Introductory Business Statistics
- BA 284 - Human Resources Management
- BI 127 - Microbiology - OpenStax Microbiology
- BI 151 - Introduction to Cells, Molecules and Genes - OpenStax Biology
- BI 152 - Biological Diversity - OpenStax Biology
- CD 120 - Adult Development - Lifespan Development: A Psychological Perspective
- CHM 110 Chemistry in the Modern World - Introductory Chemistry
- CHM 120 - Survey of General Chemistry - OpenStax Chemistry: Atoms First
- CHM 130 - General Chemistry I - OpenStax Chemistry
- CHM 140 - General Chemistry II - OpenStax Chemistry
- EC 251 - Principles of Macroeconomics - OpenStax Principles of Macroeconomics
- EC 252 - Principles of Microeconomics - OpenStax Principles Microeconomics
- GST 200 - Intro to Gender Studies - Intro to Women, Gender, Sexuality Studies
- HS 160 - US History through Reconstruction - OpenStax US History
- HS 161 - US History from Reconstruction to the Present - OpenStax US History
- PH 125 - College Physics I - OpenStax College Physics
- PH 126 - College Physics II - OpenStax College Physics
- PL 201 - Introduction to Philosophy - See Instructor (Various Online Resources)
- PY 201 - Introduction to Psychology - Openstax Psychology 2nd Edition
- TH 248 - Introduction to Theater - Theatrical Worlds
Courses with OER as Primary Textbook
These courses are saving students hundreds of dollars by replacing their primary textbook with an OER, and have supplemented the OER with additional smaller books, workbooks, or online software to provide students a larger set of resources for success in the course.
- AN 210 - Intro to Cultural Anthropology - Perspectives: An Open Invitation to Cultural Anthropology
- AS 102 - Introductory Astronomy - OpenStax Astronomy (Additional workbook for some on-campus sections)
- AS 103 - Descriptive Astronomy - OpenStax Astronomy (Additional workbook for some on-campus sections)
- BI 121 - Human Anatomy and Physiology 1 - OpenStax Anatomy and Physiology (several choices for textbook)
- BI 122 - Human Anatomy and Physiology 2 - OpenStax Anatomy and Physiology (several choices for textbook)
Courses with Some Sections using OER
The courses below have an OER Textbook as their primary reference text for some sections. In the GRCC Class Finder, the sections would be marked accordingly.
- MA 108 - Trigonometry - Precalculus / Trigonometry 3rd Edition
- MA 131 - Precalculus - OpenStax Precalculus
- MA 215 - Statistics - OpenIntro Statistics 3rd Edition
- PS 110 - American Government - OpenStax American Government
- SO 251 - Principles of Sociology - OpenStax Introduction to Sociology
- None in Fall 2020:
Further Resources and Links
- Fischer, L., Hilton, J., Robinson, T., & Wiley, D. (2015). A multi-institutional study of the impact of open textbook adoption on the learning outcomes of post-secondary students. Journal of Computing in Higher Education.
- Open educational resources and college textbook choices: a review of research on efficacy and perceptions
- How a Browser Extension Could Shake Up Academic Publishing
- OpenStax College - Rice University
- Open Textbook Library - University of Minnesota
- Community College Consortium for OER - Open Textbook List
- BC Campus OpenEd Repository
- Multimedia Educational Resources for Learning and Online Teaching - MERLOT
- OER Commons
- Open.Michigan - University of Michigan
- Lansing Community College: OER Overview
- Open Education at Bay College