Skip to main content

Motorcycle Course Frequently Asked Questions

What to know before you register

If you are under the age of 18, you must submit this Parental Waiver Form. 

  • You must have the waiver notarized if a parent is not able to come to class and sign you in. 


Call 616-234-BIKE (2453) to cancel your registration. Refunds are not available.

Frequently Asked Questions


Classes are $50 per person and include all materials needed for the class: 18 hours of instruction, a loaner motorcycle, fuel and competent, caring coaches to make your experience a good one.

How do I register?

Sign up and pay online.

Why is my Drivers License number required?

It is required by the State of Michigan.

How long is the Basic RiderCourse training?

The training averages 18 hours; depending on location, including online instruction, classroom lecture and range time.

Where are the driving ranges located?

  • Kent County - Foremost Insurance Headquarter, 5600 Beechtree Lane SE Caledonia, MI 49316 
  • Mason County - West Shore Community College, 3000 North Stiles Rd, Scottville, MI 49454 
  • Mecosta County - Ferris State University, Heavy Equipment Center, 220 Sports Dr, Big Rapids, MI 49307 
  • Muskegon County - Muskegon Community College, 221 S. Quarterline Rd, Muskegon, MI 49442
  • Ottawa County - Grand Valley State University, 1 Campus Dr, Allendale, MI 49401 

Who can take a Basic RiderCourse class?

To take the course you need to have a valid Michigan Drivers License or have taken an approved Driver Education Course. The course is required for persons who have failed the Secretary of State 3rd party road skills test twice, or for persons under the age of 18. The course is strongly recommended for all new riders or experienced riders that were self-taught or who learned from a friend.

Can I ride my own motorcycle during my Basic RiderCourse?

No. The motorcycles need to meet strict safety and size regulations. Motorcycles are provided for the Basic RiderCourse. All motorcycles are 250cc’s or less. Inventory includes Suzuki GZ250’s, Honda Rebel 250’s, Honda CB125s, Suzuki TU250W’s and Honda Nighthawk 250’s.

What do I need to take to the Secretary of State office?

Present your motorcycle safety course completion certificate, apply for the CY endorsement and pass the vision test. Your completion certificate will waive the written and road skills test.

Who can I contact regarding registration questions?

All information that you need should be answered on this page or in the RiderCourse description. If there is something that you are still unsure of you may email

Note: This program is not staffed full-time. While your questions are important to us, it may take some time to respond to any inquires.

Career Online Transfer