Your World Matters. Engage It.
This is a writing contest designed to applaud writing that engages.
Engage means to grapple with (sometimes even to engage in battle!). We're looking for writing that responds to a trend, phenomenon, or message from any aspect of the writer’s world.
Engage also means to grab hold of a reader's attention. It is writing that is composed with intention and skill in such a way that draws in readers and keeps them immersed throughout.
Did we mention the cash prize?
- First prize: $200
- Second prize: $100
- Third prize: $50
Have something you think might fit? Go ahead—polish it up and submit. We'd love to read it!
- Who: Any GRCC student who has taken or is enrolled in at least one of the courses offered by the English Department (developmental, reading, composition, creative writing, ESL, literature).
- What: Any type of nonfiction writing that engages others (this could take any form from a traditional academic essay to a multimodal project). The piece should have been written for a current or past course offered through the English Department. The subject does not have to be what is traditionally considered “academic.” As you wise readers know, any subject can be written about in powerful ways. The way you engage your subject is what counts.
- How Many: One submission per student per academic year.
- Where: Submit your work using this online submission form.
- When: Submissions accepted until Friday, March 1, 2024.
- Why: To celebrate the countless talented, dedicated students that we as a department have the privilege of knowing, influencing, and learning from. To introduce an engaging and powerful student voice to our larger college community. Oh, and there is a cash prize as well.
If you have questions, please contact a committee member: