Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP) is a federal grant program designed to provide students in the Class of 2024 with the skills needed to graduate on time and enroll in a postsecondary program.
Awarded in 2018, the GEAR UP Wyoming grant gives GRCC the opportunity to partner with four Wyoming school districts:
- Godwin Heights
- Wyoming Jr. High
Through a cohort model, we work with seventh grade students as they progress to the twelfth grade. Each year, students receive individualized academic support with a focus on preparing them for postsecondary education – whether that’s college, a certification or training program, or military service.
The GRCC Foundation has pledged scholarship money for GEAR UP graduates so low-income families can afford a college education.
Specialized training for teachers and counselors
GEAR UP Wyoming provides support to middle and high school math teachers to access resources from the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics as well as from Texas Instruments. The grant also designs and hosts a series of professional development breakfasts for middle and high school counselors to assist families in the college-going process.
Workshops for parents
GEAR UP Wyoming helps families with the transition to postsecondary education. Workshops for parents aim to increase exposure to, and knowledge about, postsecondary educational options, preparation, and financing.
More for students and parents
Junior Checklist: GRCC GEAR UP Wyoming cohort, class of 2024
— Gather information about colleges and programs that interest you. See what information is required to complete applications and financial aid forms.
— Attend after-school and Saturday SAT test prep sessions. Learn strategies to succeed on the various sections: Reading, Writing and Language, Math (no calculator), Math (calculator).
— Take Advanced Placement, Dual Enrollment, or Middle College courses. Challenge yourself now so you graduate in 2024 with college credits to your name!
— Visit colleges and universities. Check out college and career fairs. Take virtual campus tours.
— Look for scholarship opportunities and mark due dates on your calendar.
— Get your FSA ID. You will need a username and password to complete the FAFSA, the first item on your 2023-24 Senior Checklist.
Mark your calendars!
Open House for the Manufacturing & Technical Trades
- Sept. 13 at the GRCC Tassell MTEC from 5-7:30 p.m.
- Sept. 23 Esports and Career Exploration at Davenport University.
- Oct. 14 Nursing and Cybersecurity exploration at Davenport University.
- Sept. 27 Godwin Heights at Van Andel Education Institute
- Sept. 17: Iris Speed Reading & Memory Workshop at GRCC
- Oct. 1: Writing Workshops: SAT & College Application Essays at Aquinas College
Counselor Affordability Professional Development Breakfast
- Oct. 11 at GRCC Sneden Hall
Parent College Nights
- Oct. 5 at Godwin Heights High School, 6-7:30 pm
- Oct.12, at Wyoming High School, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Oct. 18, at Kelloggsville High School, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Oct.19, at Godfrey Lee High School, 6-7:30 p.m.
- Nov. 5 Ferris State University Dawg Day and football game in Big Rapids, Mich.