This Job Training program will take place at the construction site, where students will be building a new home. Students will have hands-on learning and application about the entire process of residential building including blue print reading, site layout, concrete, carpentry, door/window installation, roofing, siding, and interior finishing. Graduates will be qualified for employment in the residential construction industry. The program focuses on constructing homes that achieve a 5-Star Energy rating, are Michigan Green Built, and LEED Certified.
Hear what our Residential Construction students say about the program.
Monday - Thursday 7:15 a.m. - 3:45 p.m.
What Skills do you need to have prior to beginning training?
The student should demonstrate reading and math skills. One should also possess the ability to work with others. Good hand/eye coordination and manual dexterity are also recommended.
What will you learn while in training?
- Identify key building materials
- Complete a site layout using blueprints and elevations
- Operate hand and power tools
- Observe installing of concrete foundation and complete flat work
- Construct floor, wall, ceiling and roof framing
- Demonstrate roofing applications
- Apply windows, exterior doors and finishes
- Identify thermal and moisture protection systems
- Measure, cut-out and install stairway
- Install interior finishes: Doors, windows, floor, ceiling and cabinets