The mission of Psi Beta is to promote professional development of psychology students in two-year colleges through promotion and recognition of excellence in scholarship, leadership, research and community service. See the National Psi Beta website, or explore Psi Beta with GRCC's Raider Connect.
The Purpose of Psi Beta is to:
- Serve as a means of national recognition of the student's early interest in and dedication to the field of psychology and to scholastic achievement.
- Provide opportunities to become acquainted with and involved with the larger field of psychology.
- Provide a forum for developing one's perspective about psychology and for building a sense of community and identity with others in the field.
- Enhance leadership skills and encourage research.
- Provide greater opportunity for student/faculty interaction outside the classroom.
- Benefit the campus and community through programs and services.
All full-time and part-time students enrolled at Grand Rapids Community College are eligible for membership in GRCC's Psi Beta Chapter provided that they meet the following requirements:
- Have completed one college psychology course and are currently taking or have completed a second.
- Have a 3.2 GPA or higher in psychology course(s).
- Have completed 12 credits of college coursework with a cumulative college GPA of 3.2 or higher.
- Have an interest in psychology.
- Have good standing in the community.
- Have been approved by the faculty of the Psychology Department.
- Members gain recognition for achieving the honor of membership. Among the entities that recognize Psi Beta membership: Psi Chi, APA, APS, psychology departments at colleges and universities, and employers.
- Verification of membership for references throughout the member's lifetime.
- Eligibility for national awards (e.g., the student research paper awards provide cash prizes of $500, $300, and $200 to three winning students). Eligibility for these different annual awards: Building Bonds, Chapter Excellence, Chapter Community service, Individual Community Service, College Life Award, and Faculty Advisor.
- Publication of membership and activities in the nationally distributed Psi Beta Newsletter.
- Opportunities for minority students to participate in the annual Diversity Project mentoring program during the annual conference of the American Psychological Association.
- Psi Beta offers the experience of operating a chapter and provides opportunities to acquire leadership skills, interact with faculty outside the classroom, learn more about the professional and educational choices available in psychology, meet outstanding professionals in psychology, participate in community service, meet peers with similar interests, and be involved with Psi Beta on the national level.
- Psi Beta membership contributes to the member's confidence and feelings of self-worth.
- Psi Beta offers the opportunity to participate in national, regional and local psychological association programs, including paper and poster presentations at professional conferences.
- Psi Beta student members are eligible for student affiliate membership in the American Psychological Association (APA) and the Association for Psychological Science (APS).
- Psi Beta membership meets one of the requirements for entrance at the GS-7 level (2 levels higher) in numerous occupations in Federal service.
New Psi Beta Application will again be accepted at the end of the fall and winter semester.
Include an unofficial copy of your transcripts with your completed application form and submit both to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can download an unofficial copy of your transcripts off of the Online Center by clicking Academic Records then selecting View Unofficial Transcript. Your application will then be evaluated to assure you meet the requirements. If you do, you will receive an invitation to join. To officially join you must go to the Psi Beta website and pay your application fee
More details for this process can be found on the application and will be included with your acceptance email.
Interesting in tutoring?
Please email email@example.com to set up an appointment.