Due to the complications brought on by COVID-19, we are not having our traditional four speaker Psychology Department Speakers Series this academic year.
All presentations are free and held in room 168 of the Wisner-Bottrall Applied Technology Center.
Streaming video of each presentation will be available after each lecture.
2020-2021 Psychology Department Speakers Series
Our Year with Coronavirus: Understanding the Science and Psychology of how COVID-19 has Impacted Our Lives
Virtual Presentation February 23, 2021
Dr. Julia Carey is an Assistant Professor of Psychology at GRCC and is a native of Grand Rapids. She earned her doctorate in Psychology and Behavioral Neuroscience from the University of Colorado Boulder, where her research focused on the interplay between stress, immunology, and brain function. In this talk, she will apply these concepts to understanding why COVID-19 has been so stressful, how it has targeted our most vulnerable citizens, and discuss the promise of the COVID vaccine.
Past Psychology Department Speaker Series videos
- What Do We Know About Race and Police Use of Deadly Force? Analyses of Real-World and Laboratory Decision Data
- Dating in the Modern Age: What Online Dating and Mobile Apps Can Tell Us about Finding (and Keeping) a Romantic Partner
- Portable Device Use and Learning in the Modern Age
- CANCELED - What Do We Know about the Psychology of Doing "Work" Together?
- What is in your suitcase? Addressing Self Awareness with The Tools to Survive
- Gambling: A Behavior Analytic Perspective
- CHARGE Syndrome: The Study of a Rare Childhood Disorder
- What Happens When We Change Ourselves? A Look at Beliefs and Health
- Coping with Grief and Loss
- Child Development in the Digital Age: How, and for Whom, Does Mobile Media Use Become Problematic?
- Unmasking the Automatic Mind: Toward a New Understanding of Unconscious Cognition
- Media effects: Can watching T.V. or playing video games really change how you think and what you do?
- The Psychology of Political Affiliation: Are Donkeys and Elephants Really that Different?
- The Emergent Use of Virtual Reality in the Treatment of Psychological Disorders
- Understanding the Neurobiology of Drug Addiction in Humans Through the Study of Animals
- Introduction to Mindfulness: Exploring the Science and Practical Application
- The Real World of Forensic Psychology
- Social Support and Mental Health: It's Not What You Think
- Do Visual Artists See the World Differently?
- No Child is an Island: Integrating Family Systems Perspectives into Children's Mental Health Treatment
- Modern Application of Darwinian Theory to Psychology
- I’m Dying to Talk with You
- Art Therapy and the Expressive Arts: Knowing Yourself Through Your Creative Side
- Self-Justification in Everyday Life: What cognitive dissonance theory reveals about cheating, justice, love, war, memory, and the decisions we make
- Do Parents Make a Difference? An Exploration in Raising a Child
- Do sports matter as much to girls as they do to boys? Gender and the Myth of the Blank Slate
- Human Sexuality and Sex Therapy: Yes, our brain is the biggest erogenous zone!
- Stress can destroy a 66 ton bridge; imagine what it might do to you? Understanding and managing stress
- Can Political Psychology Help Us Know What We're Getting When We Vote?
- Anger: Just One Letter Away From Danger!
- Our Connection To Something Bigger: The Archetypes of C.G. Jung.
- Mental Toughness: The X-Factor in Sport and Life
- Will Psychologists Be Replacing Their Couch With A Computer Screen?
- I Didn’t Do Anything To Make You Feel That Way – How We Communicate Without Saying Anything.
- The Human Genome: Will You Be Able To Pre-Order The Sex, Height, and Personality Of Your New Baby?
- The Role of Technology in Our Lives: The Good, the Bad, and the Scary
- Alzheimer's Disease: One of the Things I'd Like to Forget.
- Things That Go Bump in the Night: An Introduction to Parasomnias
- Finding, Landing, and Thriving in a Job that You Love
- The Roots of Morality: Does Religion Play a Role or is the Tail Wagging the Dog?
- Forensic Psychology: The Real World of CSI
- Animal Psychology: We Do More Than Make Dogs Salivate Or Teach Rats To Run Mazes
- The Psychology Of Love: Do Opposites Attract or Do Birds Of A Feather Flock Together?
- Hypnosis: It's Not Just a Stage Act
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Can’t We Just Give ‘Em A “Chill Pill?”