The GRCC Social Sciences Department annually selects a student research paper for special recognition in the form of the Student Research Paper Award. The purpose of this competition is to promote and reward excellence in student research in the Social Sciences: history, political science, economics, geography, introduction to gender studies (GST200 only), sociology, and anthropology. GRCC students who prepare outstanding research papers as part of their work in Social Sciences courses are encouraged to enter the competition.
Deadline for submissions: February 4, 2022
First, second and third-place awards include a certificate of recognition and a cash prize. The award-winning authors will also have their names featured on the Social Science's Department's webpage.
Requirements for Submissions
- To be eligible for submission, papers must have been completed as part of the requirements for a GRCC Social Sciences course in 2021 (any semester).
- The competition is open to current GRCC students and those who have graduated during the competition year.
- Papers submitted for the competition must focus on a topic within the scope of the Social Sciences, namely history, political science, economics, introduction to gender studies (GST200 only), sociology, geography, or anthropology, and may use any type of quantitative or qualitative methodology.
- Submitted papers must be a minimum length of six pages of text, double-spaced, Times New Roman, size 12 font, with one-inch margins.
- All submissions must conform to regular academic standards: i.e. papers must reference (cite) any and all sources consulted. Submitted papers may use the Chicago Style, APA, or MLA format for citations.
- In addition to citations, the paper must also contain a complete bibliography.
- Papers submitted must have a separate cover page including the author’s name, the title of the paper, the details of the class in which the paper was written, and the date.
- The cover page and the bibliography are not part of the six-page length requirement.
- Students are allowed to submit one paper per year to the Student Research Paper Competition.
- The paper is to be the original work of the student submitting the paper.
- Papers which fail to conform to these criteria will not be considered in the competition.
Papers should be submitted via this online form. Each submission must be endorsed by the Social Science faculty member who supervised the project. This paper submission will go directly to your instructor to receive said endorsement.
Papers will be judged by a faculty committee consisting of not less than three faculty members from the Social Sciences Department. In the committee evaluation process, emphasis is placed on originality of the thesis, analysis, clarity, quality of presentation, and evidence of comprehensive and systematic research.
Three prizes will be awarded each year. In addition to a certificate of recognition, the following cash prizes will be awarded: $200 for the First Prize, $125 for the Second Prize, and $75 for the Third Prize. All entrants will be notified once the committee has determined the winners of the year’s competition.