Skip to main content

Veteran's Benefits

Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency 2019-2020 Veteran-Friendly School Silver Award Medallion.

Our Mission

Our primary mission is to identify and meet the needs of all military veteran, active duty, reservist and guard students and their dependents. GRCC is committed to offering veteran students necessary information, helpful resources to encourage and empower academic and personal success. We strive to guide veteran students through key processes such as admissions and administration of veteran’s educational benefits. Here at GRCC we proudly serve more than 300 veteran students.

Contact us for help. We're here for you.

Call, email, or walk in with questions or concerns, or schedule an individual consultation to find out more about veterans benefits and resources.

GRCC Veteran’s Support Services/VA Certifying Official
Student Records (Registrar) Office
1st floor – 118 Raleigh J. Finkelstein Hall, formerly Main Building
Phone (616) 234-4129 
Fax (616) 234-4204

Getting Started

College admissions process for new, returning or transfer students.

If you are an eligible veteran

  1. View the New Student Veteran Checklist.
  2. Contact the GRCC Veterans Office:

New or Transfer Students

  • Apply to GRCC online. 

  • Submit official transcripts from all prior colleges, universities, training centers that you attended (if any).

  • Submit official military transcripts to GRCC.

  1. Army, Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard, Reserves -
  2. Air Force free copy - write to:
    100 S. Turner Blvd
    Maxwell Gunter AFB, AL 36114-3011

Returning Students

  • Complete the Declaration of Academic program in your Online Center account (Academic Records tile) or email to reactivate your student status prior to the semester when you wish to return.

  • If you have not already done so, have any official transcripts sent to GRCC (see above under New or Transfer Students)

Veteran's Benefits

To receive VA educational entitlements, a veteran student, and eligible dependents, must (1) be fully admitted to the college and into a VA approved curriculum, (2) apply for those entitlements, (3) meet the eligibility requirements established by the VA. It is ultimately the veteran students’ decision which benefit option is the best for them.

All documentation should be submitted to the VA Benefits Representative.

Initial Semester – submit the following once enrolled in classes:

  • A certificate of eligibility (COE) letter. This will be mailed from the VA when the application has been processed.  (* Usually takes 4-6 weeks). You do not have to wait for this to start your education. You can get started by providing a copy of the confirmation page of your application for benefits.

  • A signed Veterans Responsibility Form

  • A completed Record of Previous Education and Training

Subsequent Semesters – submit the following once enrolled in classes.


Complete and submit Change Place of Training/Program form 22-1995 or Dependent Change of Place of Training/Program form 22-5495

Go to (see instructions in the New Student Veteran Checklist).

Vocational Rehabilitation

Consult your VA counselor/case manager regarding required documentation. Office is located at:

     Gerald R. Ford Federal Bldg
     110 Michigan St NW
     Room 436
     Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Federal Tuition Assistance (through your military branch)

Students seeking this benefit should visit with our Certifying Official prior to submitting their request for approval in order to correctly calculate tuition rates.

See GRCC's Withdrawal and Return of FTA Funds Policy.

State of Michigan Tuition Assistance for Guard

If you have questions about MING STAP (Michigan National Guard Student Tuition Assistance Program), visit the Michigan Department of Military & Veterans Affairs website.

Monthly Verification of Attendance (for ch. 30, 1606, 1607)

In order to receive your monthly benefit you must verify monthly attendance by using either Touch-Tone phone or web verification (WAVE)

Phone: (877) 823-2378

Or call VA Regional Office for direct certification (888) 442-4551 (1-888-GI-BILL1)

Military Leave

If you are called to or returning from active military duty notify GRCC Student Records and bring your orders.

Helpful links

See Also


Col. Scott Haraburda
I can attest that Grand Rapids Community College gave me a strong foundation of knowledge, which helped me through everything I’d done.
Retired Col. Scott Haraburda, Associate of Arts