These Common Syllabus Components were approved by the Academic Governing Council (AGC) on April 23, 2013, and updated by the AGC in February 2022. The next formal review will occur during the 2024-25 academic year.
Accessing Curriculum Documents
Please use the GRCC Catalog to access the current Curriculum Documents for the Course Description and Course Outcomes. You will need to use the drop down menu on the top of the GRCC Catalog page to access the GRCC Curriculum Database. Once you have accessed the GRCC Curriculum Database, click on Courses to find a specific Course Document.
[Course Name, Number, and Section] Syllabus
- Name, Credentials, Current Rank
Contact Information and Availability
- Preferred method of contact
- Office Location
- Office Hours (if applicable)
- GRCC E-mail Address
Course Title, Course Abbreviation, and Number
- Semester and Year (Start Date to End Date)
- Number of Credit Hours
- Course Delivery Mode
- Academic Department or Program
- (from Curriculum Document and GRCC Catalog)
Student Learning Outcomes
- Use Course Outcomes from the Curriculum Document
- Textbook including ISBN
- course packs
- other supplies
- Background check
- off-campus trips, etc.
- Insert brief descriptions here (full details of assignments can be provided by other means)
- Insert brief overview here (see Curriculum Document for outline; full schedule can be provided by other means)
- Assessment breakdown
- including Assignments
- Point Values
- Percentage of Total Grade
- Example: 25% Quizzes, 75% Papers
- How final grade is calculated (e.g. 75% = C)
- Note any special treatment of grades (e.g. lowest quiz score dropped).
Late Assignment Policy
- Insert text here
Course Attendance Policy
- Insert text here
14 Day Absence Rule
When a student has not attended a course during a 14 calendar day period, this absence is reported by faculty to the institution, and this report would initiate a withdrawal of that student from said class. Faculty do not need to report an absence when a student is in communication and there is a shared understanding on how that student is making progress in the course.
College Attendance Policy
Academic Honesty Policy
- Insert text here
Changes to the Syllabus
I reserve the right to change the contents of this syllabus due to unforeseen circumstances. You will be given notice of relevant changes in class, through a Blackboard Announcement, or through GRCC e-mail.
Grand Rapids Community College Policies
GRCC policies can be found online and provide you guidance on your rights and responsibilities as a student in this course and at GRCC. The links below take you directly to a specific policy. Should you have any questions about a policy, please do not hesitate to contact me using the information at the top of the syllabus.
Student E-Mail Policy
GRCC students are required to adhere to the Student E-Mail Policy.
Student Code of Conduct
<>You are held accountable to the Student Code of Conduct, which outlines expectations pertaining to academic honesty (including cheating and plagiarism), classroom conduct, and general conduct.
Title IX Reporting Policy
If you or another student experience sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking, dating/domestic violence, or any form of gender discrimination, you can report a suspected violation of our Sexual Misconduct Policy or our Title IX Sexual Harassment Policy directly to our Title IX Coordinator at (616) 234-3169. The Coordinator can help communicate with faculty, connect you to resources, and discuss other options. You may also report the issue to your faculty member(s), who is required to notify the Coordinator, or you may make an appointment to speak confidentially to Counseling and Career Development by calling (616) 234-4130.
Extenuating Circumstances Recommended Statements
Until further notice, GRCC students must adhere to the prevailing COVID-19 Campus Protocols. (Faculty may need to update this portion of the syllabus if other extenuating circumstances emerge.)
Grand Rapids Community College Resources
Student Resources include support for mental health, food, housing, and/or financial assistance.
Information Technology Student Support
Information Technology Student Support | Grand Rapids Community College. Students seeking help with logins or other technology related issues, should contact Information Technology.
GRCC IT Status
GRCC IT Status (statushub.io). This link will provide you with current information regarding disruptions and outages.
Disability Support Services
Campus Police can be reached using the 'Code 2' button on any campus phone or by dialing x4911 on campus or (616) 234-4911 off-campus. Dial 911 for off-campus emergencies.
Academic Support and Tutoring Services
Academic Support & Tutoring Services | Grand Rapids Community College. All GRCC students are eligible for free tutoring services. To learn more, follow the link.
When developing your syllabus, please also remember to:
- Add course/instructor specific implications of Student Code of Conduct violations.
- Include any mandatory course components or assessments the department has identified to be included in this course. Please contact the department and/or review the Course Document for this information.
- Please create an accessible syllabus document to post for students on Blackboard. You may visit www.grcc.edu/syllabus to view a tutorial video on creating an accessible syllabus.