Late Semester Hardship Withdrawal Request

*This process was previously called the Request for Medical Hardship Withdrawal.*

Grand Rapids Community College is committed to supporting students in achieving success. When a hardship, as defined in this policy, occurs after the College’s designated withdrawal period and prevents a student from successfully meeting the requirements of their individual course of study, it is the College’s policy (8.23) to consider requests for withdrawal from courses to enable the student to recover from their particular situation.

For the purposes of this process, hardship is defined as an event that causes significant suffering, or other extenuating circumstance which hinders attendance and/or academic performance late in the semester (e.g. physical/psychological emergency, unplanned deployment, loss of housing, death to dependent individual, unavoidable job change, or other unavoidable event that significantly prevents academic progress). In the unfortunate event that the hardship is a student death, this form can be completed by an immediate family member over the age of 18. An immediate family member is defined as a parent, spouse/partner, child, or sibling.

The Late Semester Hardship Withdrawal Request process is used only after the College’s defined withdrawal period, which is currently after the 70% mark in the semester - when students can no longer drop courses themselves. To drop courses prior to the 70% mark, students must withdraw by logging into the Online Center.

An approved Late Semester Hardship Withdrawal Request replaces grades for requested classes with a DR (administrative drop). However, conditions of a hardship must still be presented for the request to be considered. The process does not approve requests for students who are simply dissatisfied with their grade(s) and are unable to drop courses themselves because it is too late.

All requests for a Late Semester Hardship Withdrawal must be submitted after the 70% mark of the semester but no later than the following dates (unless the date is a weekend or holiday, in which case the due date is the next College business day):

  • Fall Semester – due January 31
  • Winter Semester – due May 31
  • Summer Semester – due September 30

The Late Semester Hardship Withdrawal Request process does not provide refunds. Approval does not provide reimbursement of tuition or fees. Requests for refunds are only accepted prior to the 70% mark and must be requested through the Cashier's Office process directly by completing their Tuition and Fee Refund Appeal Application after withdrawing from classes in your Online Center. Please refer to that form for guidelines, requirements, and the appeal review process.

Late Semester Hardship Withdrawal Request Procedures

1. Students who seek to withdraw from the College because of hardship must submit a written request to the office of the Associate Dean of Student Success and Retention (Late Semester Hardship Withdrawal Request form). Submit completed form, with narrative and documentation, to the office for the Associate Dean of Student Success and Retention - or 347 Student Center.

2. The request must contain supporting documentation verifying the nature of the situation, dates the situation occurred, and an explanation of how the hardship affected the student’s ability to be successful. Sources of such documentation include, but are not limited to:

  • • Medical forms indicating hospitalization or decreased capacity to complete coursework
  • • Legal documents indicating inability to attend class or decreased capacity to complete course work (i.e. police/fire report, letter from attorney, court records, etc.)
  • • Obituaries or other documents indicating death of immediate family member
  • • Other formal documentation related to the uncontrollable circumstances impacting student success

3. You will be contacted if additional documentation is requested to make a decision regarding your request. If contacted, you will have 10 business days to supply additional documentation or your request will be considered a denial.

4. The Associate Dean will establish a review team to make determinations as to whether the event and documentation supports a finding that the student was unable to be successful due to the occurrence of the hardship.

5. Students who wish to appeal the outcome of their Late Semester Hardship Withdrawal Request may do so by submitting an appeal in writing to the Dean of Student Success and Retention within 10 business days of notification of the initial finding. The decision of the Dean of Student Success and Retention is final.

Students with known medical conditions that require accommodations should register with Disability Support Services at (616) 234-4140 before the start of the semester to determine appropriate accommodations.

If you are a financial aid recipient, you should contact the Financial Aid Office at (616) 234-4030 first before requesting to drop courses. Your current and future financial aid could be severely impacted by dropping courses after the semester has started.

If you received Veteran/Military benefits, consult with Veteran's Benefits at (616) 234-4129 to determine possible impact.

If you are on academic probation, you should also consult with an academic advisor before you drop any courses. Dropping a course can place you on Academic Suspension. The Academic Advising and Transfer Center can be reached at (616) 234-3900.

If you have questions about your academic standing, you can contact Student Records at (616) 234-4121.