Grand Rapids Community College evaluation system is for full-time classroom faculty, Counselors, Librarians, Job Training faculty, and Tutorial Coordinators.
The purpose of the Faculty Evaluation System at Grand Rapids Community College is to promote excellence in the teaching and learning process. Faculty evaluation at GRCC is intended as a collegial process.
The comprehensive Faculty Evaluation System includes multiple measures of assessment designed to provide faculty with the essential information they need to achieve excellence in the teaching and mentoring of learners. The Faculty Evaluation System promotes excellence by rewarding exemplary faculty and by providing the means of individual professional development, resulting in improved student learning and institutional quality.
Part of the College’s commitment to educational excellence is to recruit and retain highly qualified faculty. The College also recognizes that faculty who do not meet acceptable levels of performance and who fail to improve those levels of performance will not be retained.
The underlying assumption of the Faculty Evaluation System at GRCC is that it is a collegial system with collective responsibility for excellence in teaching and learning shared by each colleague in the academic department and College. Tenure, step progression, and promotion are the acknowledgements by one’s colleagues of an individual’s readiness to move forward to the next level of performance and responsibility.
For all full-time faculty
- Friday, September 22, 2023: FPE Plans due
- Friday, April 12, 2024: FPE Reports due
For faculty applying for tenure
- Friday, January 19, 2024: Tenure Portfolios due
For faculty applying for rank (associate/full professor)
- Friday, March 15, 2024: Rank Portfolios due
For department heads and program directors
- Friday, September 29, 2023: FPE Plan approvals due
- Friday, May 3, 2024: FPE Report approvals due
If you have questions about the evaluation system, feel free to contact your associate dean:
- Liberal Arts – Grant Snider (email@example.com)
- Business & Industry – Julie Parks (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Health Sciences – Kelley Phillips (email@example.com)
- STEM – Justin Fiene (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Academic Advisors – Lori Cook (email@example.com)
- Counselors and Librarians – Raynard Ross (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- TRIO, DSS, and OSP Advisors; Tutoring Coordinators – Ann Isackson (email@example.com)
Faculty Performance Evaluation (FPE) Resources
- FPE Requirements
- FPE Submission Instructions
- FPE Submission Instructions for Department Heads
- FPE Instructions for AD, PD, DH to use FPE Status History Page
- FPE Instructional Laboratory Coordinator
- FPE Instructions for Reading Status Reports
- FPE Instructions for Associate Deans Making Modifications
- FPE Workshops
Portfolios for Tenure and Rank Promotion
The portfolio is the primary documentary evidence used for tenure review and promotions in rank. It is used by all tenure and promotion review committees as the foundation of their deliberations. Workshops will introduce participants to the portfolio at GRCC and the processes surrounding it. NOTE: completion of a portfolio workshop is required for any faculty member who wishes to serve on a rank or tenure committee.
Observations are an important component of the evaluation system but how do you perform effective observations that result in constructive feedback? This session explains the behaviors that characterize effective instruction and assists faculty in using those behaviors as benchmarks for effective and appropriate peer evaluation. It also covers the documentation associated with observations in the Faculty Evaluation System. The session covers information on observation of both face to face and online courses. NOTE: Completion of this session is required before faculty will be permitted to complete observations of peers.