Skip to main content

Tassell MTEC FAQs

We are located at 622 Godfrey Ave SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503

What MTEC classes are available?

While there is no such thing as a “MTEC Class”, the Tassell MTEC is home to many programs that include both credit and non-credit programs. Some of these programs include: Job TrainingAutomotiveConstruction ElectricalResidential ConstructionWelding, and Workforce Training programs. Please visit the websites for additional information regarding class locations.

How do I apply to a program at the Tassell MTEC?

There are many different programs that are held at the Tassell MTEC. Depending on which program you are interested will determine on how you should apply.

  • If you are interested in training that will prepare you entry level employment, check out the Job Training website.
  • If you are looking to enter into a construction trade or apprenticeship program check out the Construction Trades website.
  • Looking to broaden your knowledge in the field you are already in? A Workforce Training class maybe what you are looking for.
  • Automotive and Welding offer Certificate and Associate's Degree Programs.  You can begin the admissions process here:  Apply

When should I apply/register?

Job Training students should apply as soon as possible to secure their enrollment. Job Training programs have multiple start dates throughout the year.

Workforce Training classes begin periodically throughout the year. Check out what programs are coming up through the Upcoming Courses link.

Construction Trades courses begin every semester and last for fifteen weeks. Students should apply as soon as they know which program they are interested in.

For credit programs, students should apply as soon as possible (Suggested deadlines: Fall semester- December 1; Winter semester- September 1, and Summer semester - January 1. Always apply EARLY for timely processing) and follow Registration Date guidelines.

Will Financial Aid cover the program?

Workforce Training and Construction Trades do not qualify for Financial Aid. Most Job Training and credit programs qualify for Financial Aid. For more information on program eligibility, please contact 234-3800. For more information on eligibility, see the “General requirements for eligibility” section of the Financial Assistance home page.

What is the status of my Financial Aid?

Job Training students can inquire through the Financial Aid Office (616) 234-4030.

Construction Trades and Workforce Training programs do not qualify for financial assistance. Students may be able to receive third party assistance such as Michigan Works!, Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver, etc.

How do I sign up for Selective Service in order to qualify for Financial Aid?

Student required to register with Selective Service can do so at the Selective Service System Online. For those students who are unsure if they need to register, please visit the Who Must Register page of the Selective Service website. For male students who are over the age of 26 and did not register, please visit the Fast Facts for Men page of the Selective Service website for more information and how to request your status.

If I am using third party funds to pay for classes, do I need to file with FAFSA?

Third parties like Michigan Works! normally will require that participants file for FAFSA. You will need to check with the third party you are working with for specific requirements.

Can I take more than one program at a time, such as a credit class and Job Training?

It depends. Normally students do not take two Job Training programs due to scheduling conflicts. Students can take both credit and non-credit programs, but will only be able to apply financial aid to one program.

Is there job placement assistance after I complete the program?

Students in Job Training and Workforce Training Programs have the opportunity to work with our Job Development staff in the final weeks of completing our programs.  Additionally, Students and alumni of GRCC are able to take advantage of employment opportunities both on and off campus through the Student Employment Services office located on the 2nd floor of Ender Hall 455 East Fulton St.