Crisp white coats. Precision steel blades. Racks of spotless stainless cookware. The trade tools are waiting for that spark of passion and creativity you bring to each class. When art converges with science, when talent merges with technique, those sparks create bright futures. The Secchia Institute for Culinary Education's programs are a ticket to an exciting career and a great gateway to continuing degree opportunities. It's a well-kept secret that ours is one of the finest culinary schools in the United States.
Why the Secchia Institute for Culinary Education?
- Our Associate's Degree in Culinary Arts prepares you for any entry-level position in the Restaurant and Hospitality industry.
- All of our degrees will allow you to transfer credits toward a bachelor's degree at Ferris State University.
- Our certificate programs' curricula allow you to enter the workforce or continue your studies toward an associate degree.
- GRCC's Secchia Institute for Culinary Education has been consistently awarded American Culinary Federation (ACF) accreditation with exemplary status since its inception more than 30 years ago.
- A national trade publication, the Full Service Restaurant magazine, named the Secchia Institute for Culinary Education one of America's top 20 culinary schools — among some of the nation's largest and well-known private schools.
The Secchia Institute for Culinary Education Programs:
Culinary Arts – Associate of Applied Arts and Sciences
- Students receive intensive practical training in all aspects of food preparation, presentation, and front-of-the-house service.
- Graduates of this program are prepared to accept jobs as cooks and chefs in fine restaurants, country clubs, hotels, resorts, and institutions.
Pre-Hospitality Management – Associate of Arts
- Students receive intensive practical training in front-of-the-house service and management, beverage services, wines, and business aspects.
- Graduates of this program can transfer to the Ferris State University Hospitality Management program or become employed in front-of-the-house positions.
Baking and Pastry – Certificate
- Students receive intensive practical training in all aspects of baking and pastry from scratch baking to exquisite desserts to cake decorating to chocolate and sugar work.
- Graduates of this program are prepared to step into baking and pastry kitchens around the country.
Craft Brewing, Packaging and Service Operations – Certificate
- Students receive thorough practical training in sensory analysis, brewing microbiology, and biochemistry, operating a taproom.
- Students will also learn the basics of the laws and tax regulations required in the industry.
- Graduates of this program are prepared to accept positions in brewpubs as brewers, assistant brewers, servers, and other positions in the craft brewing industry (hop farms, distributors, etc.).
Culinary Arts – Certificate
- Students receive the same intensive practical training as students in the first year of their associate degree.
- Graduates of this program are prepared to accept positions in entry to mid-level positions in the culinary industry.
Personal Chef – Certificate
- Students receive practical, hands-on training in kitchen and dining room preparation and service.
- Students develop a plan for their personal chef business and create and execute a menu for a customer seeking meal preparation.
- Graduates of this program are prepared to start a Personal Chef career serving clients in their home and small and large dinner parties and banquets.
The mission of the Secchia Institute for Culinary Education at Grand Rapids Community College is to prepare students for successful careers in the hospitality field by providing superior theoretical and hands-on education in the classical and modern culinary arts.